1 pork roast (butt, shoulder or blade)
3 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp salt
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp dry oregano
2 tsp ground chipotle powder
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 lime, juiced
1 medium tomato, diced
1/2 pineapple, peeled and cored
2 jalapeno peppers, cored and minced
12 or more soft tortilla shells, flour or corn
1. Make the rub by mixing together the sugar and all the spices. Generously rub the spice mixture all over the pork roast.
2. Set the smoker to 225F using wood bisquettes of choice.
3. Smoke the pork roast until it reaches an internal temperature of 195F. This can take 14-18 hours, depending on the outside temperature.
4. Pull the pork into thin strips, discarding fat and bone.
5. Make the tropical guacamole by removing the flesh of the avocados and put it in a medium sized bowl. Mash with a fork or potato masher. Squeeze the lime juice and stir it into the mashed avocado. Stir in the diced tomato, pineapple and minced jalapeno pepper.
6. Make the carnitas by putting some pulled pork on a soft tortilla shell. Spoon some tropical guacamole on top.
By Steve Cylka